Oct 09, 2018
Boo! Get in the Halloween Spirit with Fun Events Near Our Saskatoon Hotel
Halloween is just a few weeks away, and for many children and adults it’s a time to indulge in a little make-believe and sugar. Whether you love being spooked in a creepy haunted house, running around a corn maze with the kids, or smashing pumpkins, you’ll love some of these spooktacular —and not too spooky— events all within a short distance of our Saskatoon hotel:
Halloween Events that will A-MAZE the Kids
While the concept of dressing up in costume and knocking on strangers’ doors in the dark while hopped up on sugar is, well, awesome, it is not always ideal for young families. If you’re looking for an alternative to trick or treating, why not take the kids to one of the many area Saskatoon farms offering up Halloween fun. Get lost on a corn maze, hunt for the biggest gourd in the pumpkin patch, enjoy some homemade treats and, better still, book into one of the best Saskatoon hotels with a waterslide and make it a family vacation.
Enjoy these family friendly Halloween activities at:
- Dutch Growers (1818 Central Ave. only a 12 minute drive southeast from Comfort Suites hotel in Saskatoon) has an indoor pumpkin maze perfect for preschoolers, craft activities, and a photo booth.
- The Strawberry Ranch Maze and Market (325 Valley Rd., 18K south of the Comfort Suites) Get lost in the intricate corn maze featuring a different design every year. October hours are Friday to Sunday and Thanksgiving Monday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Youth Farm Corn Maze in Rosthern, located 59 kilometres north along Highway 11 from the Comfort Suites, features a family friendly “Small Stalks” corn maze for young children and a more challenging “Crazy Cobbler” maze.
- Located in a six-acre cornfield at Highway 7 and Cedar Villa Road, the Saskatoon Italian Cultural Centre’s corn maze offers two course lengths – one shorter for young families and a longer one for the more adventurous. Play a game of bocce and enjoy some Italian treats at the food concession and licensed patio. Those staying at our Saskatoon pet friendly hotel can bring their pets on a leash on Sundays after 6 p.m.
- If you love smashing pumpkins, not the ‘90s band but the actual act of giant orange gourds being smashed to smithereens, including one onto a car, you’ll love the Huge Pumpkin Drop at Black Box Farm and Distillery at 245 Valley Rd. The fun happens Oct. 13 and admission is by donation.
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid
If you love things that go bump in the night, these 3 terrifying haunted attractions, open only around Halloween, will make you scream like Jamie Lee Curtis. As some of these events are held outdoors, or feature long line-ups, you can warm up afterwards at our Saskatoon hotel with hot tub.
- Billed as the Scariest House in Saskatoon, the residence at 1402 Fifth Ave. N will have you shaking in your boots with some of the creepiest displays and characters (think live actors) imaginable. Open Oct. 4-31 from 6-9 p.m. Free admission.
- A famed haunted Saskatoon attraction, Al Benesocky’s Shock House at 503 Ruth St. W is truly a house of horrors. Not recommended for children 11 and under, enter at your own risk. Check for dates/times. Tickets are $20, however, a $30 speed pass will get you much closer to the front of the line.
- Join the walking dead at Saskatoon’s very own Zombie Walk, Sunday, Sept. 30. Dress in your best un-dead attire, or as a zombie hunter à la Rick Grimes, and meet at the Vimy Memorial Band Shell in Kiwanis Memorial Park at 4:30 p.m. Prizes will be given out for best costumes. The limb dropping fun continues after the walk when the Broadway Theatre screens Shaun of the Dead at 6 p.m.
For more things to do from one of Saskatoon’s best hotels, read: 7 Fun and Practical Things to Do with Your U of S Student.Out of places to stay in Saskatoon, the Comfort Suites is recommended for its convenient location, friendly and helpful staff, and clean and bright accessible family and pet-friendly suites. Enjoy one of the best Saskatoon hotels with a pool, waterslide, hot tub and fitness room, and a complimentary hot breakfast buffet with your stay.